PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB to probe Fedex/Southwest close encounter at Austin
Old 5th Feb 2023, 14:43
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wd-15717
Between this and JFK near miss, I think it’s time for the FAA to revisit some atc protocols.
(I believe JFK was entirely fault of AA pilots, but “NY style” atc didn’t help matters)
And what makes you think it is ATC at fault here ? Looking at the FR24 construction it looks like one is slowly lining up and take off ,( with or without clearance) with another on finals . Nothing much else . For all we know it could be Southwest who has to "revesit" something .

Most of the incidents like this I saw in my carreer were when a "ready for immediate departure?" request is being mishandled by the crew . If ATC played it too tight here , time will tell, but I wait to read or hear a time stamped tape before passing any judgement .
As to the go around procedure, with a take off below ,yes it is a well known loophole with no real solution . Most of the times it it solved as the go around goes above the departure ( like here) but there is no gauarantee, I saw once an A340 on a late go around continue descending and touch down the runway before going up again.