PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worker ingested into engine
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2023, 18:34
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlightDetent
My bolding, clearly. WTF could go wrong with that. I.e. establishing a routine-of-the-day procedure where A/C is being partially serviced and the beacon is ignored as an SOP. Just wow, heavy Dryden vibes.

Don't get me wrong, I flew with 2 operators who did the single-engine and non-apu arrivals (and much more hair-splitting) to save. But the line was clear: if ELEC cannot be attached stand-alone, the procedure is not allowed. No bridges, hoses, carts, or loaders, let alone personnel. 1 guy only with a cable in hand. If that is indicated but does not work then shut down #2 and deplane a cold aircraft.

Is it that bad with FAA oversight that the airline needs an post-accident COST analysis to see what was upside down with that procedure?
Originally Posted by FlightDetent
A captain repeatedly needs to lecture ground staff about possibly fatal non-compliance with the SOPs.

-- Knock, knock?
-- ??
-- Honest, adequate SOP or HF risk management it isn't.
-- Alright, step in. Creating Excels and PowerPoints with cost saving is what we do here.

AC 120-71B - Standard Operating Procedures and Pilot Monitoring Duties for Flight Deck Crewmembers (faa.gov)
Totally agree, and if I ran the place, that would be different. But I am just one of the monkeys. Our Ground power almost always comes of the jetway, so we can't get ground power until after the jetway has stopped moving. Hence the delay. The beacon isn't supposed to be ignored, like I said: nosewheel chocks and GPU only till the beacon is off, but not always followed..... Luckily we start the APU every time now. But we still have plenty of issues. MX is instructed to wake up the airplane, have ground power and air connected, with the APU running (!?!?) an hour before departure, and ramp is trained to ask to disconnect power and air half an hour before departure. As pilots we are supposed to shut the APU off when we get on the plane if GPU and air are available, and leave it off till ETD-10 minutes. Not safety related, but just to show it seems to be hard to get everyone on the same book, nevermind page.