PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot mental health
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2023, 09:28
Uplinker

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts
SSRIs have recently been found not to work - the mechanism they were thought to act on and "cure" has been misunderstood. SSRIs actually work through the placebo effect.

This suggests that you can do a lot to cure yourself, without drugs. The brain is the most complex system in the universe, and nobody truly understands how it all works. Selectively meddling with one of the many chemicals in the brain without 100% understanding how the brain works is very questionable.

The placebo effect is very real, it works and has been proven in many double blind tests.

I would suggest that your airline lifestyle probably is the cause of your problems. My first marriage did not survive it and I once went to my GP with a mild question about why I almost failed a recurrent Sim, which was very out of character. I was very surprised when he told me I was stressed and he signed me off work for 2 weeks there and then, with a review after that. I didn't feel remotely stressed at all, but I actually was very stresssed.

Physical exercise is very good for stress busting. I just go jogging through the woods, along the river, even along the pavements in my neighbourhood. No gyms, no booking, no problem. Whenever I want to exercise I just put on my runners and go for a run. It clears the mind, it takes away your stress. It is easy and cheap and can be done anytime, anywhere. I do 5-10kms a week, which is easy. I don't use any Apps by the way; don't set yourself targets or anything, just jog at your own speed and enjoy the surroundings.

I would not get into the trap of the drug treatment treadmill. Most drugs try to treat the symptoms, not the cause. You are probably highly stressed, with an airline job and bringing up a family. You simply need to remove the causes of the stress and do physical exercise to bust any stress that is left.

If that means going part time or moving to another airline or even leaving your job, I would do so - your health is far more important.

Good luck, you will get through it.