PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worker ingested into engine
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2023, 05:54
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
considered part of the Normal OPS. For years we would not start the APU on taxi in, but leave #1 running until we had ground power. This would normally be about 3 minutes after L1 had been opened, and pax had started to leave.
Absolutely agree with you on the principle. Our SOP only allows nose chocks and ext power with the beacon on. Plenty of times I have gone below the wing for a chat with the ramp sup because the cargo door was opened with the beacon on.
My bolding, clearly. WTF could go wrong with that. I.e. establishing a routine-of-the-day procedure where A/C is being partially serviced and the beacon is ignored as an SOP. Just wow, heavy Dryden vibes.

Don't get me wrong, I flew with 2 operators who did the single-engine and non-apu arrivals (and much more hair-splitting) to save. But the line was clear: if ELEC cannot be attached stand-alone, the procedure is not allowed. No bridges, hoses, carts, or loaders, let alone personnel. 1 guy only with a cable in hand. If that is indicated but does not work then shut down #2 and deplane a cold aircraft.

Is it that bad with FAA oversight that the airline needs an post-accident COST analysis to see what was upside down with that procedure?