PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leading Edge LEAP+FI, & TUI UK Pilot Cadet Programmes
Old 3rd Feb 2023, 19:59
Lauda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDYT7
Hi All, I've only just stumbled across the TUI cadet programme, saying applications may reopen in 6 weeks 🤞🏾. I was considering applying for the Leading Edge Programme back in December before the TUI one was announced, but decided against it due to the cost of the application stages. I am currently on a gap year with an offer from Uni of Southampton for aerospace engineering, but have also always wanted to be a pilot. Stuck being indecisive, I do Hope TUI reopens their applications though as I'd have nothing to lose applying for their programme
Completely agree with TayBees comments above.
Engineering not only provides an amazing back up career but it also puts you in good stead when applying to be a pilot. Your ability to fly a plane is taken as granted by airlines when you apply for them (particularly after training) and so increasingly they are looking for future captains in their candidates who show good leadership traits. Experience in the industry will enable you to build these skills.

It will also set you up for a well paid career after graduating incase sponsorships cease and you need to pay for piloting yourself. Even with sponsorship schemes available, competition is fierce and you will need to be set apart. Taybee is right, airlines will look at it favourably!

Not that you can’t apply to these schemes and see how you get on, but don’t neglect considering an engineering degree especially at Southampton which is a great uni for it! I was in a similar position to you and couldn’t wait to begin training when I finished sixth form - but someone gave me similar advice on how doing an engineering degree would be wise, and I still look back being thankful that I did.