PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leading Edge LEAP+FI, & TUI UK Pilot Cadet Programmes
Old 3rd Feb 2023, 15:28
TayBee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDYT7
Hi All, I've only just stumbled across the TUI cadet programme, saying applications may reopen in 6 weeks 🤞🏾. I was considering applying for the Leading Edge Programme back in December before the TUI one was announced, but decided against it due to the cost of the application stages. I am currently on a gap year with an offer from Uni of Southampton for aerospace engineering, but have also always wanted to be a pilot. Stuck being indecisive, I do Hope TUI reopens their applications though as I'd have nothing to lose applying for their programme
TUI seems like a great programme: worth considering though that an aerospace engineering degree would be a great thing to have. Admittedly I'm biased as I have a degree in engineering, albeit not aerospace. The world always needs more engineers, and whilst if you start as a pilot you probably wouldn't beat out the people fresh out of an engineering degree several years later if you need another job, it'll still get you a foot in the door at engineering companies or just jobs that just have an arbitrary 2.1 requirement.

I say the above from the pessimistic view of that will help you a lot if there's a downturn and you need to pass the time for a bit between airline jobs, but it can never hurt to have something extra on your CV - and aerospace engineering is a big extra; I can confirm engineering is challenging and tends to afford respect from employers!

In any case it's up to you and I imagine there will be plenty of people who disagree with me about the benefit of that degree, but just figured I'd add it incase it helps with the indecisiveness.