PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2023, 09:18
skridlov

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Recent concentration on the supply of tanks seems to have occupied much of the discussion about what and when to send to Ukraine. However recently the announcement of supply of GLSDBs* doesn't seem to have received much attention. As I understand it the rocket components for these missiles are available in vast numbers following the US decision to decommission cluster warheads. Mounting the precision guided SDBs (said to have a CEP of 1M) incorporating 100kg of explosive, on these rockets is apparently not technically challenging. Total cost per unit has been estimated at $30K - which is a bargain compared to the £100K for one GMLRS as used by HIMARS.

In addition, I understand that these GLSDBs can be launched from almost anything tubular as all the targeting intelligence is in the warhead, unlike the enormously expensive HIMARS units. Also the GLSDB has a range of up to 150 Km, almost twice that of the GMLRS/HIMARS system. An inherent limitation is said to be the fact that the warhead glides to the target at relatively low speed, hence relatively easy to intercept. However it also has the capacity for indirect routing, offsetting the preceding to some extent.

Most of this is taken on trust from TWZ, which I regard as a very reputable source. If correct, it seems to me that these weapons are actually hugely significant - for what I hope are obvious reasons.

* GLSDB: Ground launched small diameter bombs. Acronyms are getting out of hand! The most recent neo-acronym I've encountered is MLCOA: most likely course of action. How long before we start to see SIX-letter acronyms?