PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar excess Fuel YBBN.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2023, 04:03
Dora-9

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
At the risk of going OT (again), this reminds me of a famous Ansett episode from many years ago.

The B737 was to operated Nadi - Port Vila - Brisbane. The captain, who remains a good friend of mine, was one of those unfortunate people that, if something bad was to happen, it would happen to him. The FO was one of Ansett's first woman pilots whom I also liked/admired greatly.

On arrival at Port Vila the captain went into the terminal building to complete the paperwork while the FO, who was supposed to be supervising the refuelling (no engineer there), was distracted by the press coverage that she was receiving. The fueller meanwhile just kept on going until the tanks were full!

The aircraft was now hopelessly overweight. Off course there were no facilities to de-fuel. The solution was certainly both novel and original. A delayed flight PA was made in the terminal, the captain boarded most of the ground staff and took them for an hour's low-level sight-seeing trip around the islands in order to burn off the excess fuel.

The result: a delayed flight, ground staff morale greatly improved while management were not best pleased (an understatement)!
The following users liked this post: