PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2023, 21:30
Pittsextra

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
I simply cannot understand the Wests intransigence against giving weapons to Ukraine for fear of upsetting Russia, the politicians really need their heads banging together and to wake up and smell the coffee, that particular boat has sailed over a year ago and it isn't coming back anytime soon, the sooner they commit and throw everything into the pot, the sooner the war will be over, I just pray it isn't to late.
is it that hard to understand?

Germany has been in focus recently but their government is fragmented and the main party SPD is not likely to be banging a war drum anytime soon - go and read about German politics and you see.

Elsewhere in EU they are all struggling economically and throwing more billions at a war not obviously coming to their soil anytime soon isn’t winning national support.

same in the UK. and it’s coming to the US.

the longer this continues the more the public become disinterested in the basic message and more interested in how much is all this costing.

Boris banging the drum is building his part up to share in future spoils and because he is a great scholar of Churchill and sees this as his chance at mimicking his hero.

I also suspect that throwing western equipment into UKR likely involves as much £/€/$ spend in training as the equipment itself. That and if we talk aircraft we are not overly rich in “fighter” aircraft as we might like to be. I doubt there are many more than a low double digit number of fully capable Typhoons in the RAF and as has been suggested many are cannibalised for spares. Over and above the ability to operate them they are very sensitive- err canopy leaks anyone? Sat on the apron in the rain requires taping the canopy if you need to use one without drying for example.

so yeah lots of reasons to think before acting.