PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Passenger Limit in Australia
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2023, 06:09
Clinton McKenzie

Received 245 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by zegnaangelo
the way i read CASA's response is that all flights are done for hire and / or reward (including cost -sharing). however because there is a specific carve out for "cost-sharing flights", one may rely on that exemption to capture it under a private operation.
I think that's a misreading. CASA's answer to my question 5 of 24 January 2023 was: "Assuming the pilot receives no payment for the flight, the flights are a private operation because they are not conducted for hire or reward."

And I suspect that once they've thought about it, CASA will realise that the answer to my most recent questions 4 and 5 will be to the effect that the scenario for the purposes of those questions is a "cost-sharing" flight that is neither for hire nor reward:
Scenario for questions 4 and 5: I conduct a flight as PIC in an aircraft with a maximum seat configuration of not more than 6, including the pilot seat. I have 3 passengers. I am not remunerated for the flight. The flight is not advertised to the general public. I bear the entirety of the direct costs of the flight.

Question 4: Do you comprehend that the flight in that scenario meets the definition of one that is “cost-sharing”? The “entirety” of the direct costs is an amount “that is at least equal to” the amount that would be paid by each person if the direct costs were evenly divided between all POB. It’s an outcome dictated by the laws of mathematics.

Question 5: Where is the “hire or reward” in that scenario?
sounds like the default scenario is, everything needs to be licensed/regulated unless there is a specific carve-out for private operations.
Private operations are licensed and regulated.
but it does sound like a PPL can't go hire a 9 seater plane and take his friends/family for a joy-ride.
That, too, would be a misreading. The fact that the PPL has hired an aircraft for the purpose of taking his friends/family for a joy-ride does not, of itself, turn the flight into one "for hire or reward".