PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another day, another QF incident
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2023, 00:26
AerialPerspective

Received 64 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by First_Principal
The irony indeed, Eclan; from a grammatical perspective, your diatribe is little better than that of AerialPerspective.

When I read Aerial's post I noted a number of the points you mentioned. However I decided that as it was conversational English, as opposed to instructional English, it mattered little. In this case his or her point was well made and, compared to some other posts I've seen grace the pages of PPRuNe, their transgressions were minor.

I get your humour, it certainly raised a chuckle here, but the thrust of various posts relating to education and the confusion that can arise from poor sentence construction should not be lost.

That said I don't especially agree with VHOED191006's inference that comprehension is unimportant. As students we analyse Shakespeare's prose in order to learn the subtleties of the language, and how to interpret what people are saying. To my mind without this we'd be in a worse mess when it comes to deciphering the intent of written instruction, and we might as well give up on funny repartee such as that of twentyelevens, itsnotthatbloodyhard, and yours.

FP.
Precisely FP - I wasn't aiming for grammatical perfection but trying to emphasise certain points.

I do a large amount of writing for a living and you can be assured the grammar and spelling are correct at all times as I revise and proof-read. I'm not paid to post on pprune so I don't apply the same rigour to the form of my words, basically, yes, writing conversationally.

Journalists on the other hand are paid to get things right and they are supposed to produce content that at least approximates the truth. Sadly, this is very rarely the case.

I'm not writing a PhD thesis when I type a post on pprune thus it doesn't warrant as much attention.

I can see and comment on someone doing a crappy job of painting a house when they have been paid to do so, I don't need to be a master painter to comment.