PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - General advice on training and job prospects
Old 1st Feb 2023, 20:37
gipsymagpie

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jflee97
I've had a browse through the pinned thread but I'm pretty sure this might be a bit of a novel question.
I'm leaving the RAF(multi-engine) after 6 years and an unfortunate lack of wings, and on closer inspection I've found that I am far more motivated by civil rotary work than fixed wing! I have a couple applications in for sponsored training (one FW and one RW with Bristow) but in the event that I am unsuccessful, I'm looking to try and figure out if it might not be more cost effective or valuable to do my RW training in Canada and convert a TCCA CPL (H) into a CAA ATPL(H) at all?
The regulatory changes seem to have complicated matters enormously, as the TCCA to EASA route is far better documented and supported. I would even be open to TCCA to EASA to CAA if it would represent a huge value-add in terms of employability!
My end goal would very much be SAR/HEMS/Police if at all possible, UK preferred but frankly no ties to staying if the pay and opportunities are better in Canada/NZ/AUS/US too!
Or, is the RW world sufficiently hard up that if I can't get a sponsored place and guarantee of a job, that paying for my FW licences and crossing over if the opportunity arises is the better plan?
So the military credits (CAP2254) are what will save you money. Unfortunately as you probably already know, your credits are severely limited by your lack of wings - you are not a QMP(A) and so do not get any ATPL or CPL(A) credits. But you do get credit for a PPL(A). My advice would be to start there in the UK and get that as a firm line in the sand. Then you can start on whatever journey you choose. Your experience on multi-engine fixed wing will doubtless be helpful in getting you along the fixed wing commercial licence route. You need to get the Class 1 and do the suite of ATPL exams. There is more opportunity for work in the fixed wing world and efficiency wise it is the most sensible option. You could be employable by the time you've done you leaving routine.

Now if you want to go rotary, you have a much bigger outlay ahead of you. If you have the cash, you could go the integrated route with Helicentre but that's a big wedge of debt in one go (and there are mixed reviews of their training). Alternatively you could go modular but remember you are going to have to work through the whole PPL, hours building, CPL, IR route which is vastly more expensive than the equivalent fixed wing route (particularly given you can short cut the PPL and hours building). Then you are still a low hours rotary pilot - rigs would then be the obviously route to get the hours to get an ATPL.

Third option is a hybrid. Do your fixed wing stuff, fly for an airline for a few years. You can then bridge sideways to helicopters later. Only 5 exams, shorter CPL and IR modular courses and lots of relevant multi-crew experience in your CV. You would also have a steady income to pay for the flying training.

I think the other states of licencing are red-herrings until you have a magic ATPL of some type. The credit to hop between ICAO CPL's is poor compared to having an ATPL to convert. Each time you jump its all the exams again. And if you don't have an ATPL(A), its an IR test for each jump. No thanks.

So my plan would be to get my UK Class 1 medical (because refusal disappoints) get started with your UK ATPL exams (aeroplane), speak to UKFlying.com about credits and get your hands on a CPL(A)/IR with ATPL credit. Join an airline, get some hours, then decide where next.

HEMS/Police is awesome but unless you want to sit as a co-pilot for a looooong time you needs hours somewhere else (airlines/offshore/instructing).