PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Poor customer service costs UK firms billions – so why can’t they get it right?"
Old 31st Jan 2023, 19:11
SpringHeeledJack

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
I think that as a nation the British aren't open to being 'of service' to others/customers, save for some niche careers that pay well. The latin nations are very open and see it as a proper job, the Scandis and Germanics do it in a professional and perfunctory manner. Perhaps it's that other countries and cultures are proud/feel a part of their nation and are more likely to be engaged with the customer.

In the UK, it seems to me at least, that over the last 30 years, bit by bit the jewels have been sold off and aside from sporting events and royal events, national belonging has waned considerably and this filters down through everyday interactions and perhaps into company culture. Workers just go through the motions, feeling no-one cares about them and that they are just cogs in the machine, rather than an integral part of the mechanism, which becomes all too apparent when things go astray. You only have to see how many people in customer facing jobs are on their phone, or have earpods in listening to whatever, only half there to know that non-customer facing positions(incl customer service) are similarly afflicted in only being part engaged. My latest long customer service experience was dealt with exclusively by tech, rather than a human being and even that was painful! it would seem that above a certain point, the service is there that one might expect, below that point it's hit and miss.