PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Early NVG and FLIR in UK?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2023, 18:29
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Fitter2
The LLTV system could also be used for covert takeoffs and landings without runway lights. This was first tested on the long runway at Boscombe Down in April 1978. I was in the Air Traffic Control Tower to monitor events and the Hunter pilot was Squadron Leader John Bishop. I remember the incredulity of the Air Traffic staff when I asked them to turn off the runway lights before the Hunter made a "roller" landing 1 , but I assured them that the pilots had a screen that clearly showed the runway even without lights. They watched with amazement when John Bishop successfully landed, the only indication from the Control Tower being flashing navigation lights travelling down the completely dark runway, although in real covert operations the navigation lights would be switched off. A world-first, I think.
As far as I recall, at Farnborough ATC, full 'lights out' takeoffs and landings were normal from the start of fast jet operations; the aircrew briefed us on the requirements and everyone participated down to the airfield electricians who went round the airfield extinguishing stray lights; as I said previously where there was a small current in some of the circuits which was meant to stop the lights 'icing over' in cold weather.
I'm surprised at the 'incredulity' of the Boscombe controllers when asked to turn the lights off because at Farnborough we were fully briefed by the aircrew that it was 'the norm' and some of us had visited EFS and viewed the tape recordings of the operations. I had even put a 'special' section in the the Civil AIP warning pilots that the airfield was frequently active at night with the airfield totally blacked out because at least one local civil airfield operated H24.
The most spectacular sorties were with the Jaguar (yes I remember the Jag trips now) whereby you could see a single anti - coll beacon taxy out, line up and go with the afterburners lighting up for takeoff only to be extinguished after they were airborne.

Last edited by chevvron; 31st Jan 2023 at 11:06.