PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA CC failed a breathalyser test
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2023, 09:32
Confusious

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cloudee
You wouldn’t have ruined her life, she would have done that. By taking no formal action you’ve passed the problem on to the next guy. Command comes with responsibility.
Originally Posted by Ollie Onion
Often at BA you don’t stay with the Cabin Crew and don’t actually perform a formal cabin crew brief so it is feasible the first time the pilot encountered this crew member was during a toilet break or her visiting the flight deck. I had this once myself when a crew member came into the flight deck and smelled like a brewery. I simply said to her that I suggest she reports to the CM that she is too unfit to operate and sit herself in the back row for the remainder of the flight or the other option would be a breath test on arrival. She removed herself, I had a further discussion with her after landing saying that if she did it again it would be the police. I can’t see much point in ruining someone’s life without giving them a chance. I also have had a mate that suggested the same to his FO at report I.e you should go unfit for duty or I will require a breath test before we proceed.
'I also have had a mate that suggested the same to his FO at report I.e you should go unfit for duty or I will require a breath test before we proceed.'

Years ago I did something similar. The F/O was very reluctant to call sick and go home but eventually did. Cloudee, I didn't pass the problem on as he thought long and hard and learnt from it. He subsequently thanked me and we became good friends. Ollie, I didn't ruin his life, in fact I definitely helped to make him into the competent Captain he is today. I'm proud of the decision I made as it neither compromised flight safety nor ruined someone's life.

Last edited by Confusious; 30th Jan 2023 at 10:08.