PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Recertification Testing - Finally.
Old 29th Jan 2023, 06:40
WideScreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WillowRun 6-3
So much of the international commercial aviation sector professes to operate under standardization, established and looked after by that U.N. affiliate with the wings and globe in its insignia. .... But if an air carrier, the country flagship no less, and the national government deviate significantly from both the letter of the standards and the results intended to be produced by the total set of standards (and RPs) - maybe it's time for the largest and most significant countries in the sector (int'l commercial aviation) to drop the pretense about standardization.
Is this about standardization itself, or the implementation ?
I realize that economic issues were cut out of the proceedings in Chicago in 1944; maybe that decision has borne a bitter - and tragic - legacy.
I don't think the economics itself are the issue.

It's more that the ICAO assumed (wrongly), that developing countries (in those days third-world countries), would be able to realize/implement the ICAO standards to the same level as the democracy lead first-world. The same issues the UN is also plagued with.

Of course, the U.S. won't do this under current policy leadership and administration in Washington, and even if it wanted to, it could not be done without a Permanent Rep to ICAO and Council with Amb. rank (as capable as the current head-of-mission obviously is).
I doubt there will be any political direction willing to do this, given the negative "impression" it will give towards democratic countries, as well the "destroy your own survivability" for dictatorial regimes.

When a new power rises in a country in chaos, there are 2 options to stabilize and get all noses in the same direction: Discuss/negotiation among all parties or use force to do so. Western democracies obviously went the first road. Putin (and China as well), went the "force" road, and current history shows the result of regimes that use the force road: It needs more and more force and repression.

Looking how the world-wide money laundering is being handled (putting countries on a black/gray list, and softly punishing those countries violating the norms, by reducing their international monetary options), is something that might work too for ICAO violations. This issues with this is, though, that the number of incidents is that low, that results can only be "measured" using the validation of the implementation of laid out standards. Still a fishy judgement, though. There are so many countries violating the intended implementation. Think about the whole of the ME........