PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepal Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2023, 05:32
RatherBeFlying

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts
Derek Piggott wrote that a glider could not be stalled from a 45° bank because the elevator did not have enough power to reach stalling AoA in the curving airflow. But then there's aerobatic gliders such as the Puchacz with lots of elevator that can be spun from a 45° bank as I determined at a safe altitude.

Powered aircraft are a different case because thrust moment generally induces a pitch up and there's also slipstream. Much depends on the geometry of thrust lines and tail placement.

Recovery from a low level spin entry is often not possible before the ground gets in the way. Prompt recognition of decaying airspeed and recovery are key.

The crew may have missed a decaying airspeed situation, perhaps because of wind gradient, as well as inadequate power for the configuration.

Heavy windshear downwind of terrain including buildings can upset the applecart.

The video does not show the nose going down until the wing drop.

I can testify that there is a moment of WTF is happening when it unexpectedly goes pear shaped. Prompt stick forward just worked for me that day.

Once the FDR is available, the investigators will likely replicate the situation in a sim to determine the point where recovery was no longer possible, and also see how other crews manage. There have been many cases where the "survival" rate of other crews was low.