PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - inews - 'RAF admits ‘urgent’ need to solve shortage of trained pilots''
Old 28th Jan 2023, 19:24
MK 4A Tank

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately, nothing has changed in the last 33 yrs. They didn't learn then and they still haven't mastered it. I was commissioned from NCO aircrew back in 1990. Back in the day I had a 3 year plus hold waiting for a METS Jetstream course. I held all over the place doing numerous GD duties. I even worked in MOD sixth floor for a stint. Met the CAS at the time on numerous occasions who was oblivious to the fact that all these under training pilots were in the holding system. The JP was removed from service and each year we were eventually invited back to do some flying - Tucano groundschool in a couple of days then 10 hrs with a QFI cos we weren't qualified on type. Then a "bye bye' we'll see you next time!! If I'd have gone to Chivenor or valley on the 100hr mirror image course I'd have got back to the frontline probably in less than a year - who knows might even have made it fast jet!! During this time they sent out redundancy letters - all the same but they hadn't done their homework. It stated "As you have only been in the Air Force a short period of time".............. wrong I'd been in over 6 years at this point.
Then in 2003 came the pilot retention bonuses - not tax free but taxed at 40% all aimed at the wrong age group and time served - I say no more. Then Spec Aircrew demise and the PA spine - what a great system to receive pensionable flying pay.
To cap it all - at Waddington in 2007 when the CAS was in the tea bar preaching to the troops - he stated "And we are not going to pay any of our pilots any more retention bonuses, if they don't like it they can leave" well that was it, next day 12 mth PVR was in including boss OC 8 and we move on..............! 33 years on and still nothing has changed. In this generation they cannot recruit the school leavers like back in the 1980's times have changed and lessons have not been learnt!! Oh what fun we had in the RAF - best job ever back in the day!!
Could write a book about this - wonder if it would be a best seller?