PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2023, 02:01
Boulanger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trigonometry
Ex boyfriend used to work for CX Dragon as a First Officer. At the interview he was given a choice to choose between CX and CX Dragon, he chose the latter, even though he hated to fly into China, I asked him why, he simply said, A) I did not want to be a babysitter for X years, B) CX is a sinking ship and I needed the hours as fast as I can. Even though he was sacked three years ago just like everyone else, he managed to seek employment with a US major airline, had his green card sorted out and now he's enjoying his free life. He told me, if I was a CX SO and I got sacked, I could not possibly find anyone to hire me with my P2X, because, apart from Cathay Pacific, no airlines in the world would consider my application, because I'm on P2X.

Honestly, I think the people who are so clinging on the cadetship scheme really underestimate the impact of P2X. All their eyes are fixing on the brand, on free lunch, on the guaranteed employment and the sort..If nothing happens then good for you, keep waiting, but if God forbid some catastrophe happen, such as Covid or any policy changes which result in 90 per cent of the fleet being grounded then you are trapped. Did I also mention that they are desperately seeking for Direct Entry First Officer as well? Many left but the line hasn’t changed.

That’s the reason I walked away.
An absolutely accurate assessment. The P2X is the bane of every SOs' existence, and until that changes, people who join do so at their peril. The greater problem these days is that CX has broken their own progression system. There is no real "line" anymore, with no limits on how long you can be stuck in the role.

A few years ago, before CX tore up everyones' contract, joining as an SO made sense. You would get in line and wait your turn for an upgrade based on seniority. There were annual pay increments up to the forth year, and every time the company hired a direct entry FO ahead of you, you would receive bypass pay, which grants you an FO salary while you awaited your turn. Additionally, the HKCAD also provided a guideline that it is expected that you do not hold a P2X for five years.

​​​​Now, there is no line. Upgrades are based on what fleet you get, and you don't really have a choice on where you end up. People with more experience may jump ahead of you. There is no longer bypass pay, and the company even laughs at the suggestion. DEFOs are hired at an unprecedented rate. The HKCAD also removed the five year guideline. There are only two pay grades now for SO, with the highest one lower than the first tier of what it was before. So, you could be stuck in the role for a very long time, not build any transferrable hours, deal with a perpetual pay ceiling, and the added stress of aging while watching possibly younger guys who were hired after you fly the airplane. Oh, and did you know that CX is also one of the pioneering airlines flirting with the idea of single pilot operations during cruise on the airbus?

Not trying to deter anyone, but you best consider whether the stuff happening in the latter paragraph is in anyway acceptable for you on your career path. Good luck.