PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320, flying knowledge, SOP, clarifications
Old 27th Jan 2023, 20:45
320.jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Airbusenjoyer
Thank you very much for all your replies! I highly appreciate.

My comfort zone is usually below minimum I focus outside and scan 10%. Target the aiming point , use PAPI, and and keep a steady descent angle.
However due to a lot of people I fly with, which order me to follow FD/GS below minima, I tend to fixate on it and the aiming point, usually forgetting to look at the far end of RWY to judge sink and flare input.
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't landing a visual maneuver? FCTM says when near the ground focus should be on attitude and sink rate, which I normally follow, however due to some people I am paranoid about my FD/GS when near the ground.
Maybe a quick tip that helped me tremendously in the beginning. If you fly to runways with a LDA of 2400m+ don't use the big fat white markings as your aimpoint, as that is not where the glide slope intercepts the runway, on these runways the fat markings are at 400m, however the glide slope intercepts at around 300m, so at the smaller markings just in front of the big ones (2nd markings from the runway threshold). If you make those 2nd markings your aiming point you will stay on the glide all the way and there is no need to worry about not being on the GS when in the visual last part, as you most likely will be. Made it a lot easier for me.

Also, for me the usual tip of wandering your gaze along the runway (maybe but not necessarily towards the end) during your flare really helps in judging your closure rate and react accordingly with smooth inputs.