PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New BB supplier router issues.
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2023, 19:15
rans6andrew

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
New BB supplier router issues.

We have just signed up to a new, cheaper, BB supplier and received their "Award Winning Router". I don't know what Award it won but our experience suggests it is not for its WiFi capability. What we are finding is that after less than an hour of use the data stream just stops flowing to however many devices we have connected. The indicator LEDs on the router carry on showing all of the greens and flashing to show activity but nothing is happening at the devices. The devices all show WiFi to be connected but we pages stop loading, music and video streams show the circle chasing itself round for ever.........

The connected devices are some or all of a recent Dell laptop running Win 10, an ancient Dell laptop running Linux Mint, a Samsung laptop running Win 8 and finally a Samsung tablet and 2 Samsung phones running Android versions various.

The router only arrived last week ready for BB switchover on Monday. Notification of the switchover came and the old router carried on doing a good job. We were informed that the actual switchover could be at any time up to midnight so we carried on using the old router until bedtime. On Tues morning I swapped over the routers and the "Award Winning" one booted up, locked onto the internet and off we went. About 15 minutes into a Zoom maths lesson the whole lot just stopped in the way described above. Not knowing what was going on and having seen Openreach working along the road I took the easy option and used my mobile to run a hotspot and got the Zoom lesson back up.

After the lesson finished I called the BB customer service team, got through directly, and a very helpful chap asked me to reboot the router and he ran some tests after which he tweaked some settings remotely and thought he had solved the issue. About an hour later, as my wife was preparing to do an on line games sesison the router stopped again. All of the LEDs carried on showing green and a VOIP phone call carried on working so I called the service desk again. They were not able to effect any change in the time before the gaming session was due to be hosted by my wife so I cut the man short and connected up the old BB supplier's router and we got back on line. We gave the new router one more try later in the day and the service help made some more tweaks, not sure what. The first theory that WiFi channel contention might be an issue, it isn't, we can barely see anyone else's WiFi from in the house and the sig strengths are low. During the night I plugged the Award Winning back in and it seemed to have idled all night, my phone connected tro the WiFi when I awoke and data flowed. It didn't last, less than an hour later, just as my wife was going to join a Zoom maths session it all fell over again. A quick swap back to the old router and maths went ahead. I called the help desk, reported what had happened since my previous call and they decided to send a replacement router.

It came today. It behaves in exactly the same way as the other one did. After nearly an hour data stopped flowing, web pages stopped refreshing etc. I called again. Spoke to the 6th different person but the notes in our account were well done and I didn't need to repeat myself. They asked be to do a factory reset on the router, we checked channel conflict, again, none detected. It worked for about 35 mins before it stopped fetching data. From tomorrow we are going to be away for 10 days so I rejected the offer of another Award Winning router........

To be picked up again in 2 weeks ish.

I remember something similar happening with a previous router and BB supplier...... but I can't remember what was done to sort the issue in the end. I think it may have been a channel setting change or security change but can't really remember.

Anyone?

Rans6......