PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Caledonian Boeing 707s
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2023, 18:00
Akrotiri bad boy

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
This thread has been twanging a memory chord and led me to search through my aviation stash looking for a publication I came across back in the '70's. "A Lion Over The Atlantic" appears to have been published in conjunction with Esso Air World and contains a fleet list dated 1st November 1974. The fleet at that time included nine 707-320C's:

G-AWWD Flagship Bonnie Scotland
G-AWTK County of Angus
G-AXRS County of Caithness
G-ATZC County of Stirling
G-AYEX County of Argyll
G-AYSI County of Sutherland
G-AZJM County of Ayr
G-BAWP County of Inverness
G-BCLZ County of Lanark

The "Lion" continues; "Following the success of a major two-month US coast-to-coast sales drive BCAL decided to launch services on the London-Manchester-New York and London-Glasgow (Prestwick)- New York routes in June 1973. Known as the Golden Lion services, they will operate a total of 42 flights a week on the four scheduled North Atlantic routes next summer, using Boeing 707-320's refurbished to give them the new wide-look interior."

The "Lion" shows a route map covering such diverse destinations as: the Seychelles, Ndola, Monrovia, Bathurst, Sao Paulo, Santiago, and Los Angeles. However it's the domestic route London-Edinburgh-Glenrothes-Dundee that piques my interest. Which aircraft served the latter two airfields in particular Glenrothes as it only has a 700m runway?

Akro