PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Early NVG and FLIR in UK?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2023, 22:30
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Paying Guest
Remember that sortie well. Came over from Boscombe to do an associated ride along trial as flight test observer and yes, the expletives were interesting, if not particularly educational, when he discovered the relative locations of camera and nosewheel, though my memory suggests an overshoot and goaround as the result. The display was very impressive during the Welsh LL portion of the trial. Without digging out my log book memory suggests mid 74 or early 75.
Don't wish to haggle but it wasn't '74; the main runway was being re-surfaced for most of the year then we were straight into the airshow and after that, OC Flying (Wg Cdr Clive Rustin) was 'moved on' to Boscombe for reasons I won't disclose although his successor Wg Cdr Dave Bywater did tell me.
Clive had another er 'problem' while at Boscombe (which was featured on TV) and when I met him at Bruggen (visiting in my alter ego as an RAFVR(T) officer) in 1986, he was still a Wg Cdr. Tells a tale doesn't it.
After this came Wg Cdr Ian Strachan who is the one I remember as 'adopting' the Varsity trial.