PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Philip Cleife - personal details sought
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2023, 21:03
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
As a youngster I well remember Philip Cleife appearing on a TV program (B&W) in which 'contestants' had to present their business to a panel with a cash prize to the eventual winner. In the end I think he came second in the final show but the presentation which included film of both Plymouth and St Marys Airports and Capt Cleife in what looked like a tropical issue uniform was very smart. I think his wife did bookings and ran the passenger side.
His T/O incident (Tyre/innertube issue) would not have been a problem at Plymouth but Scilly is terribly unforgiving with no run off, and 'clutching rocks' ready to complete the misery. One of the fireman who rescued him from the ensuing blaze was awarded the BEM for his efforts, and was still there when Pobjoy used to drop in with the C337(stol) and the BN2.
There were several occasions when Mayflower could still operate services from Pymouth when the BEA Rapides at Lands End were well 'socked in' on the 400 ft amsl field at St Just (nothing changed there then)