PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - what's happening at Azzurra?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2004, 15:46
Jetset320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, I just heard that Capt. Joe Agius (Azzurra Chief Training Pilot) has resigned from Azzurra and is resuming his post with Air Malta. Azzurra's loss.

A plan is desperatly needed. Azzurra has lots of debts and with the 7 RJ's grounded, 2 737s re-possessed, they have a humongous amount of staff sitting around idle doing nothing.......and still getting paid. Besides, there is the little issue of the lease payments on the RJs. Whether Azzurra is paying them or Air Malta is irrelevant, because they still have to be paid (guaranteed) by KM, each month (x7). Can you imagine what this is costing?

With the above as a huge anchor, and the debts accumulated so far, this cash injection will dry up in no time at all.

Something has to be done soon (read now!) and unfortunately this will have to include operating the RJs ......... 1)ready trained crews on payroll, 2)available aircraft idle, also on payroll.

As the RJs cannot be used successfully for charters(except perhaps from some remote airfilelds or perhaps Florence), the only way I can see this going is for Azzurra to open a low cost scheduled operation out of a couple of bases, and operate point to point on stategic routes that are not yet exploited.

Since other low costs have taken over airports like MXP, FCO/CIA, BGY etc, perhaps possible candidates could be Verona, Forli or Venice. Short sectors would be the key, and operation (OF RJs) will be totally internet based. Heavy advertising will be a must, as is the branding on the aircraft. The way I see it..........we are already loosing......this way we can only win!

Regarding G7 (seven group), someone sold (gave) them that stategic 51%, so now they pull the strings. Alitalia screwed Azzurra up, as it did with Minerva, KLM and many others. **** happens. Let's hope that ZS has what it takes to get on it's feet again.....for the long haul.