PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Warship: Tour of Duty
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2023, 20:30
pr00ne

Received 139 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by welshwaffu
Oh dear, I’m feeling very old – it wasn’t like that in my day.

Yes, way too much focus on ‘characters’ like Lambert. I don’t need to eves drop on his phone call to his partner and he even has someone to help him put his whites on for Commander's defaulters! Oh, and that was a very nice ‘interview’, the only things missing was coffee and biscuits FFS!

The ship exists to project our influence and military power beyond the horizon with the Fleet Air Arm. I didn’t see any input from aircrew, maintainers or the briefing room.

It might improve but it looks to me like an audition for a future reality show.
Oh yes it was! Go and have a look see at the 1976 Sailing Ark Royal documentary. It is packed full of complaining and whinging lower ranks, drunkenness, awol charges, and focus on a few interesting characters.

Anyone who thinks that the lower ranks having a bit of a moan is anything new does simply not understand the British military, or is suffering from a serious case of rose tinted glasses affecting memory.

I thought it showed the RN in a very positive light in terms of personality and especially in terms if a terrific capability once the aircraft numbers and weapons have been sorted out.
The following users liked this post: