PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A350-1000 autonomy tests aimed at supporting dual-pilot cockpit: Airbus
Old 24th Jan 2023, 14:50
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Busdriver01
So is ATC to be fully automated too? No reason to think human ATC is safer than human pilot...
That is still te long term plan , yes. the technology is not new, was tested already in large simulations both in the USA and in Europe, It works but does not deliver capacity , so does not pass cost benefit analysis, yet . One paragdim was that fully automated ATC needs a fully automated aircraft too. Basically ground computers talking constantly to airborne computers using high broad band data exchange. . That data link however does not exists yet.
Then will come what they call the "emotional aspect" : basically acceptance by the public. Some believe if the price of the ticket is right , i.e. much lower than manned flight , they will go for it . Not sure of that but here you go.
@ Chieftp
if my company wants me to fly a single piloted airliner, I will ask for my current salary, plus my F/O’s current salary, plus a bonus for the additional responsibility that will fall into my lap…So where are the cost savings? And safety enhancements?
I am sure they will then most probably recruit and train youngsters to do this for half you current Capt salary. As to the safety enhancements, technically they do not have to be enhanced, it is still 10 to the minus 6 , we are currently well below that, so maintaining current saftey is enough. ( to avoid nasty remarks : I am beeing sarcastic here )