PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 20:32
Mr Mac

Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Beamr
I understand your point, but the longer this current situation goes on the more urgent it will be to provide UKR western MBT's, and the best option in numbers is Leo due to training/spares/logistics (and the turbine engine dispute).
If the west is going to support Ukraine till the end, the MBT's will be needed and if Germans are stubborn something has to be done without them.

And then comes the question of aircrafts as Migs and SU's will need replacement eventually. F16's or some other FJ. What puzzles me is the lack of discussion on that topic though, NL said they'd be happy to provide Vipers, US says why not, end of discussion. What's going on?
Beamr
No chance of UK made MBT, it will be an Abraham or Lep 3, we can’t even make a decent APC given current kit assembly one’s issues .

I think you need to understand German politics more as they are not just sending, or Green lighting 14 old Challengers, the ones being sent are not ones that were going to be upgraded. We are talking about a country that invaded Russia with tanks and many of them. If Germany Green lights the re export of Lep 2 there is a potential for many tanks again rolling on the Steppes. If you don’t understand the optics of that in Germany or Russia you do not understand the issues at play.
I am pretty sure Germany will be making tanks for quite awhile yet.

Cheers
Mr Mac
The following users liked this post: