PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - inews - 'RAF admits ‘urgent’ need to solve shortage of trained pilots''
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 16:46
Countdown begins

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Baldeep Inminj
I joined the RAF just over 30 years ago and I have seen recruting ebb and flow since that time - the pipeline has been turned on and off more times than I care to remember due to various reviews, budget cuts, fleet cuts (Seaking, Wessex, Andover, VC10, Tristar, HS125, BA146, Nimrod, Jaguar, Buccaneer, Phantom, Harrier, Tornado all met their demise during my time, and Hercules, Puma, B412, B212 and A109 (army) are all about to suffer imminent retirement. I can see why forecasting numbers might be an educated look into a crystal ball.

However, to fix the issue of retention, I have heard a consistent message from the 'higher up's' over those 30+ years...'money is not the answer'.

I disagree completely. Everything else that has been tried has not worked, so given that their airships clearly do not know what the answer is, how can they be so sure what it is not?
Let me be very clear - I left for money - I saw what guys were earning outside and got sick of being taken advantage of. Many of my colleagues left for money, indeed I have 3 good mates who all left because they got divorced, got cleaned out, and needed their gratuity to kickstart their life again. The pay in the RAF is absolutely derisory - it is frankly disgusting it is so low. I left to work for a major North American Defence Company and we hire new engineering and software grads straight out of Uni. on more than a 1st year Group Captain is paid, with unlimited flexible vacation, and yes, you read that right - there is no limit to how much vacation you can take - it is a big thing over here. My salary as a PA pilot tripled when I left and has climbed significantly since, and my life is my own - if you leave the RAF and also leave the cockpit, there is serious money to be made and a far better life to lead.

I have spoken to my friends back in the UK recently and most agreed that we would rejoin the RAF, and step back into the cockpit, if the pay was right. Money would get me back, and it would get 4 of the 5 guys I spoke to back - but I do mean money. My price would be 450k per year, and I would be able to give 7 years service until 60. Is this ever going to happen - of course not, but to just say 'money is not the answer' is a stupid, blinkered and ignorant viewpoint. If the RAF paid 500k per year, do you think they would have a retention issue? If not, then money IS the answer, the question is just how much.
Ma'am, thank you for your service. God bless.
The following users liked this post: