PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - inews - 'RAF admits ‘urgent’ need to solve shortage of trained pilots''
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 10:29
minigundiplomat

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Lima Juliet
keep smoking that weed man…

That would be one of the highest paid roles in the public sector. In the Services you would be on a higher salary than CDS! Who gets paid £270k-£290k per year, or his Chiefs on £190k-£213k per year. It would be nearly 4 times what we pay an AOC!

So, with your suggestion of £450k each Pilot and the best part of what must be 1,000 or so in front line flying jobs - you have just blown nearly 1% (£0.45Bn) of the UK Defence Budget (roughly £45Bn) on 1,000 of the 140,000 Services’ personnel. That’s before you add all of the extras, like pension, healthcare, subsidised accommodation, school allowances, travel allowances, etc… You can probably make that 1.5%-2% of the Defence Budget. Yeah, that’s going to happen isn’t it?

Also, can you imagine the furore and demonisation of our people in the press and social media earning such a salary? Be prepared to become one of the most hated and envied professions in the land.

Personally, my pay and pension is relatively fair - it could be a little better, but hey, that’s life. I don’t do it to get rich, I live comfortably and I am proud to serve the way I do. I’ve had some phenomenal experiences that some will never get to witness. I’ve had 2 marriages and I don’t feel the need to prostitute myself for every last penny that I can get. I remember why I joined in the first place, many don’t.
I take it the 450K is Drachma.........
The following 3 users liked this post by minigundiplomat: