PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flaming USB battery halts flight from Taiwan
Old 22nd Jan 2023, 11:31
punkalouver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DroneDog
I fly a bit with pro camera gear; I carry the lithium Ion batteries in a dedicated fire-resistant bang. Along with the camera as carry on The batteries are all original from the camera manufacturer (no clones) but I also make sure they are virtually discharged and carry no appreciable energy.

My biggest fear is that someone will place one of those eBay special uber cheap hoverboards or scooter things in the hold. One that's a budget make and perhaps has had a little damage when being used and the lithium-ion cells are compromised/physically damaged and fully charged. These things have a large battery pack. This recipe for disaster is sitting in the aircraft hold, and maybe it gets nudged by another item during the flight (air turbulence). I have no idea if airports have any hold baggage checks to catch this, but given the summer holiday season, when the masses head for that summer break. If its shoved into a rucksack or large suitcase check-in have no chance of spotting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2jNHWatZvs
Interesting video. Glad to hear that calm, cool, collected reaction saved the day from a scary situation. He should become an airline pilot.

We have this interesting stuff at my airline in a container designed for insertion of laptops. You have to watch this video to see amazing fireproofing and cooldown.

Last edited by punkalouver; 22nd Jan 2023 at 11:41.