PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Caledonian Boeing 707s
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2023, 04:01
chevvron

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Sotonsean
I'm assuming that Banjul was routed via Freetown and Monrovia as BCAL definitely served the Gambia during this period.
I experienced the BCAL flight from Gatwick to Banjul in late 1984 when it was a DC10 but it was just a return to Gatwick, there were no other sectors. A year later, the same carrier and type but it was in a different colour scheme, I think it was called 'Novair' or something but not without a certain amount of confusion.
Knowing the inbound flight was due, I slipped a few 'dalasi' to one of the ground staff and he allowed me up to the tower; quite an impressive tall tower it was.
Banjul Tower had 2 frequencies which could only be selected to either transmit or receive, unusually (in my experience) you couldn't transmit on both simultaneously.
Anyway the inbound BCal flight called and the controller replied but he transmitted on the other frequency, so the controller switched transmitters. The pilot called again but he had already switched to the other frequency too so they were both still on the wrong frequencies. Meantime the other inbound of the day, an RAF Hercules c/s 'Ascot XXX' called. This confused the controller further because he replied to the Ascot using the BCal callsign! Eventually he managed to get both aircraft on the same frequency.
The controller's explanation was it was getting very complicated with as many as 14 flights per week!

Last edited by chevvron; 22nd Jan 2023 at 09:44.