PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CityJet Simulator Assessment
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2023, 18:04
thepilot91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So... after an eternity I have (maybe)got enough time to make an update here.

My excuse is: I didn't want to say too much before I actually knew if I got the position or not (I DID!) but it took a long time to get my contract.

But I would say my assessment was pretty much like Sylvian94 described above.

I had a late sim session time in CAE Amsterdam, I arrived the day before the assessment (to give me plenty of time), it can be a bit finicky to get through the security gate (initially I got the wrong code for the gate, but CAE were helpful over the phone).

The day before my assessment I went there, practiced a fair bit in the 737 mockup located at the top floor at CAE Amsterdam.

I arrived well in time for my sim session on the day ( I was scheduled for a late session, starting the briefing at 19:30 and supposed sim start at 20:30) I practiced some more in the mockup.

Around 19.20 I met the other gentleman there for his assessment, and shortly after the assessor/examiner arrived greeted us and showed us to the briefing room.

Quick go-through of documents (medical, license, logbook) and then he briefed a bit about the session:
-Got the Engine out procedure (I think it was just left ZUE at 2000 feet, but I'm not sure)
-there will be no feedback whatsoever
-The assessor is there to act as PM and may offer prompts "standing by with heading"...etc but ultimately you will be PF and making your "intentions" clear (following the profile given)
-He explained that "you may fly the whole profile, or parts of it, just because we move on to another exercise does not mean it was conducted poorly"
-It was a pretty brief brief so to speak, but considering we had gotten the sim package beforehand and time to practice in advance there were not really any surprises.
-The session should take around 1h, maybe a bit more (pretty high tempo for all things to be covered)
-The assessor is aware that non of us were 737 rated and they did not expect us to perform as if we were.

After the brief, I got to wait for the other assessee to have his SIM session, it took maybe 1h 30 minutes, he did not say much of the session after they were done.
So at around 22.00 me and the assessor jumped into the FB 737 SIM, allowed for time to get comfortable, showed me the Ipad and briefly how to get the plates etc. seat adjusting etc.

First I briefed the plate (SID LSZH RWY 16) and then the "aborted take-off" brief (emergency brief).
He wanted me to brief both the PF side and the PM responses for a rejected T/O, after about halfway, he said it was enough (I took that as a good sign)

Normal 2 engine take-off (according to SIM pack), climb to 13k feet, I monitored temperature and requested anti-ice as we climbed through cloud.

The session then went on pretty much as Sylvian94 described above apart from:

-I did not do any holds whatsoever, I was placed for the entry and only needed to tell him which one it would be, he moved me relative to the beacon and repeat...done, NEXT

-My amount of airwork was limited: turning climbs & descents at 1000fpm

-2 eng approach (according to sim pack) I think this one was full procedure LZSH RWY 16, no contact & go-around (according to sim pack profile)

-Placed on rwy 16 for T/O again, eng fail at V1 climbout and Eng fail procedure according to earlier brief (and sim pack) TDODAR & NITS, however when I initiated the TDODAR he said we completed those successfully and froze me on vectors for ILS 16 again allowed me to brief (no required change in Missed approach go around altitude for the One Engine Inop)

- OEI approach, no contact - Go around and then my session ended...it took about 1h 30 min but I think I was only "airborne" for 1h.

The assessor was very helpful, I was almost surprised and wondered if I was doing such a poor job it was needed (guess not hehe!) and indeed professional like Sylvian said, however the time constraint made the session very high pace and intense.
Again: no feedback was given after the session, only a handshake and a thank you.

Initially I didn't think I did well enough, not terrible, but still not great.
I was happily proven incorrect a week later when I was offered the course start in November (which I couldnt take) so I got to start Jan 9th 2023!
HR is VERY busy and the communications regarding start date etc. therefore took a long time, and that's part of the reason why I did not update the thread (wanted to know for certain before I wrote anything).

Now my excuse is the TypeRating course, which is arguably even more time consuming, I hope the information in the thread may be of some use to future potential assessees.

Please feel free to share your own experiences in this thread for others to benefit from!

Regards,