PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Courses - Are they any good?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2004, 07:42
famous grouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mister Rainbow, how you doing old chap, long time no hear, wasn't meaning to raise old wounds !!

M85

With regards airlines running their own courses, I don't know of any. Most airlines will expect a certain degree of knowledge before they will take you on and the Avtech course might be sufficient to get you in. I got my first job in ops on the basis of studying the basic C&G 7281 foundation course.

There is at present as far as I am aware no ICAO Flight Operations officers licence for UK operators. That's not to say there won't be in the future. Currently under JAR OPS the company you work for must provide "relevant training" in accordance with ICAO DOC 7192 D3. (see some of the older threads on the Glasgow course if you have the stomach for it !!).

Once in, its usually on the job training to tailor you to the procedures of that particular airline and the systems they use.

Much of airline operations, IMHO, is down to common sense. In all honesty you pick up most of what you need through experience and a desire to learn. Once in, don't spend a quiet night snoozing or watching the tv, browse through the company manuals, the more you know the more respect you gain.

Its all down to your CV being in the right place at the right time, but anything you can do to make employers look at you above the rest will vastly improve your chances.

Good luck mate, keep us posted on what you do
FG