PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another day, another QF incident
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2023, 03:00
43Inches

Received 419 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
Do you have any statistical data of this “trend, compared to post Covid or worldwide rates?

Usually we don’t call something a trend until we see the numbers actually indicating that.

Qantas calls for calm after engine failure and three flight turnbacks

There are more than 10,000 “turnbacks” across the aviation industry every year, with Australia’s largest carrier Qantas averaging 60.

So QF averages a “turnback” every 6 days. What’s the latest trend for the month, the last 3 months etc? Will there be more for the last 12 months than next?

It’s why you can’t rely on tabloid media for statistical safety trends.
My point is not in regard to the media reports and less to do with turnbacks and more to do with the 8 to 10 engine failures the group has had in short time. 4 of which at one airline appeared to be all similar causes and yet no evidence of the regulator or ATSB having any interest. VA, Rex and the other airlines non QF group are being investigated for engine failures and they have internal procedures, why is QF group removed from external scrutiny? I think the ATSB needs to bring back a short list of all events, regardless of whether they are investigating so that we as the public can judge ourselves. As it is now we have seen a number of turnbacks and engine failures and no one can scrutinize whether or not there is a trend or not, other than the the ones that could be intentionally running at a higher risk. Then you ask how can you claim the mantle of safest operator when you have no transparency of incidents for outsiders to compare with other airlines.

Again as I said before from what I have seen with my own eyes the media reports are barely the tip of the events, most have gone by un-noticed seemingly by everyone except those who have witnessed them.

I would be very surprised if Qantas did NOT have a very. sophisticated system that tracks and evaluates occurrences this way right across each fleet. I would also expect that a summary of the monthly output from such monitoring systems was not routinely shared with CASA and ATSB, as the stuff I generated for Ansett was in the 1970’s.
Its one thing to have the data gathering system and the data at hand, it's another to act on that data and respond appropriately. Right now there is a turf war going on for QF to maintain its 60% market line in the sand, which requires all available aircraft and crew doing probably more than the system can handle, the result is more engineering issues. Is it safe? we don't know, but it would help to know if there was more public information that highlighted the incident rate in reality. Unfortunately I sniff corruption with the current system of reporting.
The following 2 users liked this post by 43Inches: