PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is starting an EZY MPL a sane idea in 2023?
Old 20th Jan 2023, 14:49
Chris the Robot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TayBee
Looked at the RAF but as you say I hear that flying is very much on the backburner and there is a huge training bottleneck from someone I know in there who has been waiting >1 year to even start a training programme!
Plus, I don't like not having the freedom to decide what I fly - despite them looking cool in top-gun whilst using flares to trick radar guided missiles, I would want to be flying C-17s, not fast jets.

I think you alongside everyone else have definitely led me to the conclusion that MPL programs are not the way forward at the moment: some may call me a cynic but I don't believe any company is untouchable when it comes to recessions and my many friends who decided to earn money in finance rather than spend it all flying all say it's going to be a long and big one; so I guess we shall see who is about and hiring in a year or two then apply or hopefully use my days whilst waiting to work airside and pad out the old CV a bit for future applications.

Makes you wonder what it's like to be someone who doesn't have such an awkward dream to pursue and would be happy in an office a couple of miles underneath ours
I think the MPL schemes can be a way forward so long as the airline is funding it. If it wasn't for a recent change of employer who have a considerable training investment in me, I'd have put in for the TUI MPL.

When I was looking to fly commercially a in the middle of the last decade, there wasn't much to offer unless you could fund training yourself, which I couldn't. I instead chose a career on rails where my training was fully funded and I was a paid employee from day one of said training. I fly recreationally in my spare time.