PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A350-1000 autonomy tests aimed at supporting dual-pilot cockpit: Airbus
Old 20th Jan 2023, 10:49
Bergerie1

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts
Airbus is right to research such things and, remember, in all R&D there will be some projects which reach dead ends and some which will open up unexpected avenues.

However, while I don't think we will see pilotless airline operations in the near future, I do think it will be possible, in the not too distant future, to design and certificate aircraft for single pilot operations in the cruise so that, on very long flights, it would be possible either to reduce or even eliminating the need for 'heavy crews'. This would enable one pilot to take his statutory rest while the other is left alone at the controls. There would then be no need, depending on the length of the flight, to roster extra pilots.

You could then have, on ultra long flights, two at the controls for take-off and landing but only one at the controls during the quiet parts in the cruise with the other readily available in the crew rest area - much like the watch system at sea. I am sure this could work and would offer substantial financial benefits to the airlines.

It would also allow for co-pilots to be trained and to build up sufficient experience so that they could take sole control in the cruise. In practice, I think there would need to be an extra co-pilot or apprentice pilot period (call it what you will) for a long time until the necessary experience has been gained. Experience is not something that is acquired quickly and takes several years. As we all know, good piloting skill is not just about flying the aircraft but also about knowing what situations to avoid.

Finally, I think that long solo duty periods would be so ruddy boring I doubt any sensible person in their right mind would ever want to do the job. I know I wouldn't!!

Last edited by Bergerie1; 20th Jan 2023 at 11:08.