PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepal Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2023, 16:14
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scifi
Are there any Approach Plates for this airfield...?
I just wonder why a commercial airplane carrying 70+ persons should be doing a 90 degree intercept to a 1 mile final. Has the concept of a 'Stabilised Approach' been forgotten in this case..?
Basically yes.
Welcome to Nepal . All Domestic operations are VFR, including those of the ATRs.
Approach plates ? : The last Nepalese AIP version avail on line ( April 2022) does not have the new airport in . For the old airport ( still in ) the only approach charts avail were the holdings ( 6 DME east or west at 4000 and 4500 Ft ) and an helicoper routes /reporting points. chart , That was it. Not sure what the situation with the new airport is . I worked there and flew in/out and around VNPK myself VFR in a SEP but that was 10 years ago. Probably the easiest airport to fly in in whole Nepal as it is relatively low ( 2600ft) flat all around and there was no smog/pollution so visibility was always good, unlike Kathmadu. . Sometimes Fog because of the nearby lake in early morning . . The 3 Anapurnas are just North but far enough not to affect the airport.
Now about stabilized approaches ? not in the Nepalese environment. . large turns 1 mile out is common in other airstips in the country to avoid terrain or downdrafts.