PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - inews - 'RAF admits ‘urgent’ need to solve shortage of trained pilots''
Old 18th Jan 2023, 03:22
finestkind

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by biscuit74
Thanks finestkind. I was of course simplifying dreadfully, looking only at the training element, to keep it simple. Naturally standards need to be maintained and continuity assured in ops as well as in training; for that your existing leaders should be up to the job. Of course all predictions are best guesses; time was that the Services were able to aim for a slight overestimate on replacement numbers required. No doubt that isn't possible today, with our service people being run ragged trying to fulfil too many operational requirements with too small a group and insufficient resources all round.

I do think a major problem for the RAF in the modern world is the short duration of postings. Increasing those to, say four year tours would make for a more efficient use of time and resources. Some nations post their people long term to a base rather than moved around constantly. Seems to work well. Is it time the existing system was changed, or at least possible changes thought about?
Totally agree. I do believe that the RAAF has looked at posting location stability to improve retention and also time in "slot" flying postings, particularly fast jet. Unfortunately, with every solution comes another problem. If memory serves one of the problems of extending a flying posting was adversely affecting the promotion ladder. Any change no matter how small appears to cause seismic tremors. Perhaps we are still in factory mode with human labour and need to sift to technical mode. The RAAF pilot training system has had a shift and it will be interesting to see the result. I remember when knuckleheads were getting min hours due bucket (financial costs) constraints (currency maintained through flight and sim hours) which of course made the departure door look more inviting to times when we had/have more aircraft than pilots to fly.