PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepal Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2023, 22:05
Tobin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whether the cabin video is fake, I cannot say for sure, but some of the "analysis" "proving" it's fake is quite sad.

I'll pick one post to respond to, but it's one among many.

Originally Posted by Austrian Simon
So far I found out that there was never a livestream out of the cabin, it was not possible to livestream for this user.
It need not have been a Facebook livestream. It may have been another platform. It may have been a private stream that that immediately uploads to some cloud storage.

People of Pokhara tell me, that the video in its clear part clearly show the straight final approach to old Pokhara Airport's runway 22, all landmarks etc. are correct. The approach is visible to relatively low height.
Which other comments have said is the correct approach to runway 12 at the new airport. The approach overflies the old airport so it looks very similar, just a bit higher.

. The last clear frame still shows the passenger happily and relaxed, the next frame is blurred without transition, there is no visible refocussing of the camera, no movement of the camera, no movement before the camera, no reason for the sudden blur is visible.

Autofocus isn't instant, and it can struggle greatly when there are sudden movements, sudden changes in focus distance, and extremely up-close shots. All of that happened in the video, with the passenger aiming the camera out the window, then toward himself, then toward other passengers, then toward the seat backs only inches away, then repeating the process, and when the actual extreme left bank takes place, it's likely he tries to grab onto the seat on front of him or his own, and that's when the phone's camera is aimed as something so close as to be unable to focus on it, which is then followed only a second or two later by the camera being flung to who-knows-where, again unable to gain focus until it's mostly stationary. Add typical digital video artifacting and I don't see how you can conclude a whole lot just because some frames are "blurry".

The passengers would have recognized they were on short final having seen the old airport pass by the windows flying over the old runway in a near right angle and would have known, that now a turn would be entirely wrong. Hence the passengers would have been alerted. Nothing visible/audible on the video.
How do you expect passengers to react? For them to even notice something is "different" you'd need a significant number of the passengers to have experienced this approach at this airport. In fact, probably none of them had. They have no idea what's "normal". And even something out of the ordinary would not automatically be cause for panic. They have no idea when something is a serious problem.

Passengers will scream and panic at normal turbulence, but kill all the engines and they'll get quiet and whisper "Oh, it's really quiet all of a sudden. Does that normally happen?"

Then the aircraft rolls in with quite some violence, the forces onto the passengers must have been huge and the people would have screamed with certainty in panic. Nothing on the video however.
What video are you watching? I hear the passengers shouting just before the crash.