PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dallas air show crash
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2023, 11:37
punkalouver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Another thing to consider in all this radio chatter is the reality(at least in my experience and discussion with others) of poor ability of pilots to hear and therefore understand transmissions due to bad radio set-up. It is not unusual to have a warbird with garbled radios, loud static noise, noisy cockpits combined with improper fitting headsets/helmets. And the transmission from the other aircraft may be poor. Such an issue is unlikely to get fixed in the short term before the next airshow(or the end of the year). And how many organizations hav an avionics technician.

I have experienced this as recently as this past year in warbird operations. I encourage any other warbird pilots on this forum to let us know if that has been your experience too. Yet, in flying well over a hundred different transport category aircraft for commercial operations, radio reception is virtually always loud and clear.

To be honest, I found it difficult to understand what the air boss was saying much of the time(slack radio-telephony makes it even more difficult) Then there is the reality of concentration just to fly the aircraft in such a situation of formation flying or having to fly a certain pattern at an air show where there can be multiple restrictions to avoid or be punished by the FAA. It can be overwhelming.