PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Caledonian Boeing 707s
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2023, 19:34
paulross

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Asturias56
Yes I flew them as a pax on London- Kaduna- Lagos and a lot of our guys used them out of Benghastly and Tripoli.

IIRC they had extra booze on board for the London bound flights from Sunny Libya
I was on those Tripoli/LGW flights in the 1980s and I am not surprised. I worked in the oil industry there for many years. The LGW/Tripoli sector usually left pretty early, around 07:00. It was usually about 1/3 full but the fare was pretty eye watering, around £300 if I remember. Oil industry prices.

Whilst most people working in Libya had four weeks on/four weeks off where I worked it was something like eight or 12 weeks on two or three weeks off. So we were pretty disoriented what we got on the plane home.

On my first flight back I was just grateful to be on the aircraft home and, as we were taxying out the lovely BCAL CC passed by with a trolly and said "would you like a beer". I admit I was confused as I hadn't seen a beer, or a woman, for three months. 'Er, yes I suppose' I blurted out and she put a six-pack on the empty seat beside me, extras appeared before the top of the climb.

I'll just make a call out to the wonderful BCAL crew, up front and in the cabin. After a long time in the desert, and working very long hours, to collapse in to a BCAL 707 seat at Tripoli was sublime.