PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - best GA magazine?
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2004, 03:14
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The thing I like about Flyer is that it is willing to discuss matters relevant to modernisation, for example modern avionics, not generally publishing the standard utter drivel about GPS that most other pubs keep doing, and in particular its recent article about the FAA IR was great to read.

In fact I was astonished that a UK GA magazine would publish something which is bound to get up the CAA's nose as much as mentioning the FAA IR (and the N-reg of aircraft which that directly implies).

The other mags seem to be firmly in the days of WW1/WW2 flying which is fine for those operators and fans but in my view GA (or, more precisely, the £10 a time airfields and facilities we are all used to) will vanish unless it is dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century (21st would be asking too much).

Unfortunately ALL the magazines regularly publish stuff which is simply wrong. A frequent example is discussing aspects of maintenance, without mentioning that most of what is mentioned is illegal unless the plane is on a Private CofA or a Permit. I suppose they assume that somebody reading it will know enough to know that. There is also a lot of stuff which is specific to a particular plane but definitely wrong for others, without this being said.