PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two helicopters collide - Gold Coast, Queensland - Sea World 2/1/2023
Old 16th Jan 2023, 04:07
helispotter

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
In post #100, nikoel wrote: "Because there are two operators in close proximity, the radio calls are definitely not 'perfunctory'. I have never had a situation where one of the pilots failed to respond to any one of my radio calls. And I have made thousands of them".

The Wikipedia description of the Pan Am / KLM 747 take-off collision ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster ) mentions, under the sub-heading "Communication misunderstandings", about simultaneous radio calls causing mutual interference on the radio frequency, which was audible in the KLM cockpit as a three-second-long shrill sound (or hererodyne). Not saying this is the case here, but how is this sort of 'over-transmission' issue managed now? Do the pilots who transmitted become aware their messages have become scrambled?

Originally Posted by KiwiNedNZ
...Surprised you havent thrown in there about the Sea World Long ranger accident as well.
Well I did in #303, but in the context of the otherwise accident free operations in that location over many years. I think it was also mentioned by others in one of the first 20 posts which I can't currently access, and of course it also got a mention in #386...