PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - inews - 'RAF admits ‘urgent’ need to solve shortage of trained pilots''
Old 15th Jan 2023, 18:20
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
This is not a new problem. The pre WW2 RAF had essentially the same problem and it is a reflection of all Military Forces in peacetime. Leaders are not wanted in peacetime, managers are. Managers will compliantly go along with what the politicians want which will have everything to do with buying off the constituent of the day and nothing to do with actual operational readiness.

This mess is just a symptom of the larger problem. The RAF has not had an “enemy” since the end of the Soviet Union. That means the senior leadership is now almost entirely composed of managers, not leaders and they ensure any new promotions are like them.

I think all middle powers with the possible exception of Australia, have this issue; Canada certainly does.

The sad reality is the recent events in Ukraine have now amply demonstrated what a hollow force our Militaries really are, yet all I see is the deck chairs on the Titanic getting rearranged in bureaucratic MBA speak “process review” exercises

For me the height of irony is the Japanese with its history of constitutionally endorsed pacifism, is starting a huge ramp up in military capability with an emphasis on attaining deterrence through offensive capability. Go figure…..