PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Caledonian Boeing 707s
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2023, 18:19
hautemude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The BCAL 707 was my first long haul command, coming from a BAC1-11 with BUA, just after the takeover by Caledonian. My failing memory tells me I only had about 18 months on the a/c before going to the DC10. The 707 certainly had scheduled services at the time, mainly to West Africa. We were known as the Africa corps. But Benghazi certainly featured as did Nairobi. It was a truly wonderful a/c to fly. I will never forget that feeling of raw power at the end of the runway when one applied full power and released the brakes. Basic indeed it was, with the need to have each throttle lever in a different position to achieve balanced power. Thank God for Flt engineers. I went on to fly the DC10, one memorable trip, when I set fire to Freetown airport after a bird ingestion on the roll out. Then the 744 with BA, not the same but still a wonderful a/c. The fun of the Caledonian girls was missing. BCAL was a truly wonderful company to fly for & to work for. I'm now in my 80th year, so forgive hazy memories!