PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepal Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2023, 17:54
s_bakmeijer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tu.114
This is a horrible accident and IŽd rather not have seen those videos.

Allow an old Turboprop driver some musings. As is obvious, the ATR is a T-tailed turboprop. There are differences to a jet, both system and handling wise.

First of all, let me stick with the previously made assumption that an aerodynamic stall was somehow involved, which is not too far fetched judging from the video shown.

On an aicrraft with this configuration, there ought to be a stick shaker and a stick pusher installed that fire in that order with an approaching stall but way before the flow separates. I would be very interested to hear whether those were in working condition. Both ought to rattle the crew a good moment before the actual stall occurs - in the video, there seems to be no fighting those systems showing as happened to the Dash 8 in Buffalo. But neither do I observe any movement at all that IŽd link to the actions of a stick pusher, which strikes me as odd.

The proper reaction on the Dash (I am standing by to be corrected by an ATR rated colleague here) is as in most aircraft: put the nose down, roll the wings level. The turboprop engines bring an addition to this: the power levers (and, system dependent, the condition levers) are to be firewalled. Those are MUCH more responsive than a jet engine, high or low bypass, and, by virtue of the prop in front of the wing, will add substantial energy to the airflow within shortest time. Had this happened in the case being discussed here, it would most likely been audible on the videos that showed up here.

I am not going to guess on causes here. But if there was an actual flow separation involved, this would not be the root cause but the final blow. The first slices of Swiss Cheese must have been passed much earlier.

You my friend should start a column in here
its like stating the obvious but I didn't need to think
Thanks for your opinion and may those souls rest peacefully