PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dallas air show crash
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2023, 14:37
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From an ATC point of view this audio is horrible to listen to .
This Airboss acts as if he is a veteran controller , but he lost it, and badly. I would like to see has an Tower ATC licence , since how long and if he was rated for that airfield.

Next nobody seems to be supervising him In such a situation , issuing instructions to the show, taking over TWR ATC control, including taxi instructions and pyro, all at the same time ? No supervisor would let his happen at the briefing stage. . There should have been a ground controller assigned prior to the show already prior to the start of the show.

Then lletting outside aircraft land during such a complex display with 500ft overflights above the runway ? Crazy.Never seen this before.
Then , during the display it was obvious that things were not working as planned and that the Airboss was losing it ( an experience controller can spot this in a few seconds) then help should have been available , i.e. giving advices, transfer aircraft to another frequency etc.. Was he really alone ?

And finally he should immediately have be relieved after the accident , and definitively not continuing issuing instructions as he did , as after seeing such accident you are 10 times more likely to make more errors.

From a display pilot and having controlled a few air shows in my former life, the briefing is gold and is the key, as Blancolorio rightly points out, here the Airboss appears to be making the plan in real time, you never do that. Not in my part of the world anyway.

I hope there will be good lessons learned from that accident. And that the fact that , as Blancolorio said, this Airboss was the son of the guy that used to do it has nothing to do with it.