PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can anyone date and place this photo, please?
Old 13th Jan 2023, 17:14
Addlepate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by unmanned_droid
He seems to be at Montreal. In the link below, second photo down on the right hand side is an aerial view of Montreal old port - the middle section seems to be a good match for the background. Photo in the link is undated so its possible that the jettys were widened for double terminals, but i'm going on the large square door, 3 over door windows on the terminal, and then the storage buildings behind with semi circular upper edge windows.
I'll confess I can't pick out the details you refer to, but like others i can't reconcile this with Montreal. What appears to be a hill in the background could be Mont Royal, the skyline in 1958 without tall buildings, but the piers at Montreal old port are much longer and wider than the one in the photo appears to be, the pier buildings quite different, and the buildings along the harbour are much more set back from the edge with a road and railway between. I don't know New York, but can't match it to LIverpool or Southampton either.

Originally Posted by Chris Scott
I'm now most grateful to someone who saw this thread and offered to look at the immigration records of sailings, given the subject's name. He has come up with the following:

Departed Southampton on 4 Jun 1957 onboard 'Liberte' of cie Gle Transatlantique, bound for New York.
Returned from Montreal, arriving Liverpool on 3 Aug 1958 onboard 'Empress of France' of Canadian Pacific Steamship Line.

So, he was only at each of the four ports once. Does anyone recognise those buildings in the background, bearing in mind that both sailings were in summer?
That may not mean the photo was taken at one of those four ports. I think it was common for transatlantic steamers to stop at other ports to take on passengers; Canadian Pacific documents available online show, for example, that Empress of Canada, on the Liverpool - Montreal run in the mid '60s, stopped every trip at Greenock and Quebec; posters suggest on other trips steamers stopped at Belfast and Queenstown (Cobh). The search may be wider ...