PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any experienced guys suffered loss of confidence?
Old 13th Jan 2023, 05:35
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE]Messing up a landing last year on a gusty day, ballooning the aircraft leading to a baulked landing is still playing in my mind, first time it’s happened to me.[/QUOTE]

Happens to the best of us, I’m afraid, but I don’t see why you walked away from this bruised. You got a poorly timed gust of wind that upset the trajectory. You did EXACTLY what you should’ve done. You went around and tried again. That is NOT a failure.

I’ll say it again, a go around is NOT a failure. It shows good judgment. History is littered with the twisted metal and blood of approaches and landings that should’ve been discontinued, but were not.

I accept that company culture can negatively affect perception after a go around. Here, there’s no paperwork. You’ll never get a phone call for going around, but a very long landing or unstable approach will probably earn you at least a phone call.

I’m not sure what your captain said to you after, but if it was anything other than “excellent job deciding to try that one again”, shame on him or her.

Since you asked for advice, I’d offer 2 bits- you’re not going to get better by avoiding the gusty days (not saying that you are), so take the bull by the horns, and actively seek them out. Calm wind days won’t rebuild your confidence. The rough days will.

On Autothrust, I find I do better landings with the Autothrust off. I feel as though I have better control when Fifi isn’t “helping”. Easier to squeeze a bit of power on or off as needed, especially in the flare.